Moragalla Beach- Aluthgama
Sri Lanka most attractive beaches would begin to expose themselves; one such secluded spot is Moragalla Beach near Aluthgama, Kalutara District. Located between the packed Bentota beach and the Beruwala beach, Moragalla beach is a haven for beachgoers exploring an isolated beach holiday in Sri Lanka.
Features of Moragalla Beach
Despite being a relatively lesser-known destination, Moragalla Beach exudes a unique charm. The beach is a pleasant and expansive stretch of straw sands, complemented by fairly clear blue waters. However, what sets Moragalla apart is its tranquil atmosphere and the shallow ocean due to an underwater reef located just off the coastline. This combination makes it an ideal location for water activities such as snorkelling, windsurfing, and diving.
Moragalla Beach is conveniently situated for travellers exploring the Kalutara District. It is located just 16 km south of Kalutara, 4 km south of Beruwala, and 3 km north of Aluthgama. The southernmost section of the beach lies near the estuary of the Bentota River, adding to its scenic beauty.
Exploring Moragalla Beach
Moragalla Beach offers visitors a delightful coastal experience. The long stretch of straw sands provides ample space for sunbathing, leisurely walks, and beach games. The crystal-clear blue water invites swimmers and sports enthusiasts to enjoy its refreshing embrace. Moreover, the underwater reef near the shore creates opportunities for snorkelling and diving adventures, allowing visitors to discover the vibrant marine life beneath the waves.
Enjoying a Secluded Beach Holiday
One of the main attractions of Moragalla Beach is the chance to escape the crowds and immerse oneself in relaxation and serenity. Unlike the more popular tourist beaches, Moragalla offers a peaceful ambience where beachgoers can unwind without the distractions of large crowds. The secluded nature of the beach provides privacy and exclusivity, making it an ideal destination for a romantic getaway or a peaceful family vacation.
How to Get to Moragalla Beach
Travellers can reach Moragalla Beach using various transportation options. Bandaranaike International Airport in Colombo is the nearest international airport for those arriving by air. From there, one can hire a taxi or public transportation to reach Moragalla Beach. Alternatively, travellers already in Sri Lanka can use the extensive train and bus network to access nearby towns such as Kalutara, Beruwala, or Aluthgama. From these towns, it is a short distance to Moragalla Beach.
A range of accommodation options are available in the vicinity to cater to the increasing number of tourists visiting Moragalla Beach. Travellers can choose from beachfront resorts and hotels offering stunning ocean views or cozy beachside villas and guesthouses that provide a more intimate setting. These accommodations offer comfortable amenities and convenient access to the beach, ensuring a memorable stay.
Local Attractions and Activities
Apart from the beach itself, Moragalla offers several attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. One popular activity is taking a boat ride along the Bentota River, where travellers can explore the scenic waterways, observe wildlife, and witness the confluence of the river and the Indian Ocean. Adventure enthusiasts can indulge in thrilling water sports such as jet skiing, windsurfing, and banana boat rides. Additionally, the area surrounding Moragalla Beach is rich in cultural heritage, with ancient temples and landmarks waiting to be explored.
Local Cuisine and Dining
Moragalla Beach and its surroundings are not only a treat for the eyes but also for the taste buds. The coastal location means that seafood is a specialty in this region. Visitors can savour fresh catches of fish, crabs, prawns, and other delicacies prepared in traditional Sri Lankan and international styles. Local restaurants and eateries offer a range of dining options, allowing visitors to sample authentic Sri Lankan cuisine and indulge in various flavours.
Safety and Travel Tips
While enjoying the beauty of Moragalla Beach, it is essential to keep a few safety and travel tips in mind. It is advisable to follow beach safety precautions, such as swimming within designated areas and heeding any warnings or advisories issued by local authorities. Weather conditions can impact ocean currents, so staying informed about the weather forecast is recommended before venturing into the water. Additionally, respecting local customs and cultural sensitivities adds to a pleasant and respectful travel experience.
Moragalla Beach near Beruwala is a hidden paradise that offers a tranquil and secluded beach holiday in Sri Lanka. With its pristine sands, clear blue waters, and serene atmosphere, this beach escapes from the hustle and bustle of more popular tourist destinations. Whether you seek relaxation, adventure, or cultural exploration, Moragalla Beach has something for everyone. So, plan your visit to this enchanting coastal gem and immerse yourself in its natural beauty and tranquillity.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is Moragalla Beach suitable for families? Yes, Moragalla Beach is an ideal destination for families seeking a peaceful and enjoyable beach vacation. The secluded atmosphere and shallow waters make it safe and suitable for children to play and swim.
2. What are the popular water sports activities available at Moragalla Beach? Visitors to Moragalla Beach can engage in various water sports such as snorkelling, diving, windsurfing, jet skiing, and banana boat rides. These activities provide a thrilling experience amidst the stunning coastal backdrop.
3. Are there any nearby attractions to explore while visiting Moragalla Beach? Yes, there are several attractions near Moragalla Beach. One of the highlights is the boat ride along the Bentota River, where visitors can enjoy the scenic beauty and wildlife. Additionally, there are ancient temples and landmarks in the surrounding area that offer insights into the rich cultural heritage of Sri Lanka.
4. What is the best time to visit Moragalla Beach? The best time to visit Moragalla Beach is during the dry season, which typically lasts from November to April. The weather is pleasant during this period, and the ocean conditions are ideal for swimming and water activities.
5. Can I find accommodation options near Moragalla Beach? Yes, several accommodation options are available near Moragalla Beach, ranging from luxury resorts and hotels to cozy beachfront villas and guesthouses. These establishments provide comfortable amenities and easy access to the beach, ensuring a memorable stay.